Trainers Transform Lives – We Transform Trainers
Why Our Program
Our Certified Personal Fitness Training Certification Program was developed from a passion to ‘build a better trainer’ by combining results-driven science with an advanced practical application. By perfecting these two disciplines, NAFC trainers are empowered to safely and successfully lead clients toward better health and improved quality of life.
When NAFC certifies trainers, we teach you how to train. We train you in knowing how to move bodies. We train you for success!
Guidance and Support
You will appreciate the guidance and support you’ll receive both during and after the certification program. NAFC is with you every step of the way! Once you enroll in your chosen program we’ve got your back…
- Use our Contact Page or call us at 800.324.8315 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm PST) for educational support or with your questions.
- NAFC provides a clear path from the beginning for you to successfully negotiate and complete your program.
- NAFC’s Interactive Courses are designed for a better learning experience, including interactive content to help you learn and retain the information.
- Attend NAFC live workshops or opt into the virtual workshop to gain knowledge and experience.
- Use tools provided to help you through the program including virtual flash cards, video instruction, and online practice exams.
- Tap into our Career Counseling and the NAFC Affiliate Program for career assistance to help you land the perfect job.
NAFC Trainers Transform Lives
We educate the student trainer to become a critical thinking movement specialist, enabling them to be a successful, well rounded and knowledgeable Personal Trainer.
Learn to effectively communicate the health benefits of fitness, disease prevention, diet and nutrition, behavior modification, stress management, and total wellness. Develop motivation and behavior modification strategies to enhance compliance with a fitness and wellness program.
Fully Accredited and Recognized
Career School and Post Graduate Program
NAFC is one of the only certifying organizations that is also a post-secondary licensed career school. We are a private post-secondary career school licensed by the Higher Education Coordinating Commission through the state of Oregon (OHECC). This allows us to issue college credits through our career school for several NAFC Certification courses and a Medical Fitness Post Graduate Diploma Program. This addresses the eventuality of states requiring licensure in the Medical Fitness space as well as possibly the fitness space as certification alone may, in the future, not be enough to satisfy requirements.
There is something that sets the NAFC apart from the over-educated trainer who has no understanding of how to apply head knowledge to Results. NAFC taught me something special years ago. I am one of those Loyal hearts!
"NAFC actually stops and asks the question why. Why should you do this exercise? Why should you do this movement? They really focus on proper body movement and injury prevention which is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL if you are going to be in the fitness field. Their study tools are actually engaging, especially their interactive study section. I can't recommend NAFC enough!
I just completed my ACSM CPT exam after having completed the NAFC Health & Wellness Coach Cert. I have to say that NAFC is a more challenging process and offered a much more comprehensive education. - NAFC-Certified Trainer
"Testing was convenient and the master trainer I tested with virtually was very knowledgeable, personable and professional. I would give NAFC an A for sure as I came away with the confidence that I could easily help people achieve their goals at any level." - NAFC-Certified Trainer
Personal Trainer Certification Information
- Minimum GED or High School Diploma required.
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
You must have and maintain a CPR/AED certification.
Course Education Level: Intermediate
Continuing Education Credits: 3.0 NAFC, 3.0 NESTA
How it Works:
When you sign up for your Personal Training Certification…
- You must complete all course modules.
- You must take written examinations with a passing score of 80% or higher.
- We recommend our students to purchase and complete a virtual or live workshop to ensure a passing score of 80% or higher. (included in All Inclusive and Self Study programs)
- If you choose to take the practical test without a live or virtual workshop, you are allowed 2 testing attempts before the workshop is required.
- You must complete your practical examination testing with a passing score of 80% or higher.
- Time to Complete: You have up to 18 Months to complete Examination Process
- Course Access: Continued access with updates available
- Your NAFC personal trainer certification is valid for 24 months. During that 24 months you must complete continuing education prior to your renewal date to qualify for re-certification.
- Recertification is required to keep you up to date with industry standards and practice. You must complete and submit 20 hours (2.0 NAFC credits) of continuing education in a 24 month period of time prior to your renewal date and complete a re-certification application to be recertified.
Through hands-on workshops and self-paced, interactive home-study, NAFC will mold your ambition into a highly refined skillset that stands above all competition. Take the first step towards a career that improves lives. Enroll in the NAFC Personal Training program today.
Personal Trainer Required Course Material:
Personal Trainer Program Interactive Self Study Content
- Personal Training Certification Introduction Document
- Weight Training Program Interactive study or downloadable weight training program manual (Click here to see course objectives)
- Weight Training Theory Exam
- Fitness Assessment program interactive study or downloadable fitness assessment program manual (Click here to see course objectives)
- Fitness Assessment Theory Exam
- Lifestyle Consultant program interactive study or downloadable lifestyle consultant program manual (Click here to see course objectives)
- Lifestyle Consultant Theory Exam
- Personal Training Practical Application Workbook
- Practical Examination
Personal Trainer Virtual Workshop Content:
To complete certification, you must participate in either a Live Workshop (live workshop calendar on website) or a Virtual Workshop (see details below) and achieve a passing grade.
- Personal Trainer Virtual Workshop Videos
- Personal Trainer Workshop Worksheet Packet
- Personal Trainer Certification Student Notes Pack
- PT Virtual Workshop Assessment
Additional Certification Options
If you are confident in your ability to pass general fitness, anatomy & physiology, weight training, lifestyle consulting and fitness assessment, without first studying the NAFC study course material, this option would be for you.
To become certified with the National Association for Fitness Certification, you must pass both the theory exams and practical exam with a minimum score of 80%. If you receive a no pass on the theory exam, a retake will be necessary. The retake cost is $25.00. When you have completed and passed the theory exams, you may schedule a virtual appointment with an NAFC Evaluator by emailing email@example.com to complete the practical portion of this program.
If you are unsure, then you would benefit from our complete online course or virtual workshop options.
*You will not receive any study materials with this option, so ensure that you have a complete understanding of the education required to pass the exam prior to purchasing.
Feel free to contact an NAFC Career Consultant for help in selecting the best option for you.
Most students learn and retain information at a higher level through audio/visual demonstration and explanation. For this reason, NAFC has always recommended attending one of our live workshops. However, if attending a live workshop is not convenient for you, then enrolling in a virtual workshop is the answer!
NAFC virtual workshops offer the same level of education and training as our live workshops but allow you to take the workshop home with you and conveniently stream on your computer or device.
Gain a comprehensive understanding of practical application techniques and core concepts.
Let our expert trainers and instructors visually guide you as they demonstrate hands-on skills and pro-tips that will prepare you for your practical exam and your career.
Earn your CEC’s with us and gain an understanding of the practical application of sound biomechanics like you never have before. Come and see why we are leading the way in functional training!
– NAFC CEC: 1.50
The NAFC Job Placement Money Back Guarantee assures that you will secure a job in the health and fitness industry within 90 days of completing all certification and career management requirements.
Included at a discount with NAFC Certifications “All-Access” Option
NAFC is committed to providing you with all the tools you need to build a successful and rewarding career.
Not only do we offer a money-back guarantee opportunity, but we also connect you with a Career Management Specialist who will work hand-in-hand with you as your personal career advocate and help place you in the best possible job to match your skill-set.
Your Career Management Specialist will provide you with all of the following services:
- Qualify you for jobs in the health and fitness industry
- Gain an understanding of the type of job/career you want
- Inquire about any special skills you may possess and/or CECs received
- Direct you toward available positions in your area
- Advice on ‘Career Tools’ that will help improve your expertise
- Work to place you with fitness and health companies
- Help you improve your visibility to companies
- Assist in creating resumes and cover letters
- Assist in preparing you for the interviewing process
- Post a video which serves as an introduction to possible employers and provides evidence of your skills as a trainer.
These services are included with your purchase of the NAFC Job Placement Guarantee at no additional charge.
Job Placement Guarantee Guidelines
If you have met all the required criteria but still have not secured a job within 90 days of completion, NAFC will refund all amounts paid to NAFC for the course package. This money back guarantee applies to the NAFC Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, and Nutrition Coach course packages only.
To receive this refund, you must have applied for at least 5 positions related to the purchased NAFC certification within the 90-day period and have met the criteria for each position (including passing any required background checks). Failure to appear for a scheduled interview will disqualify you from this money back guarantee.
You must also have met with an NAFC Career Management Specialist and satisfied any additional requirements that they assign.
Any refund must be requested from NAFC’s Member Services Department within 12 months of purchasing the NAFC course (with Job Placement Guarantee). NAFC reserves the right to request evidence of purchase and/or of job applications and rejections. NAFC may, at any time and without prior notice, change the terms of, or discontinue, this Job Placement Money Back Guarantee.